Are you looking for ways to improve furnace efficiency in your home? You can do a few things to improve your furnace’s efficiency and save money on your energy bill. Furnaces account for a large portion of the energy used in homes, so making these small changes can significantly impact your monthly bills!
This blog post will discuss some of the best ways to make your furnace more efficient. We will also provide tips on maintaining your furnace and keeping it running at its best.
What Is Furnace Efficiency?
Furnace efficiency measures how well your furnace converts fuel into energy. The higher the efficiency, the less fuel your furnace will consume to produce the same amount of heat. Annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) usually rates the furnaces. It is the percentage of fuel converted into usable heat for a year.
For example, a furnace with an AFUE of 80% will consume 80% of the fuel it uses to produce heat, and the other 20% will be lost through the chimney or vents. Furnaces with higher AFUE ratings are more efficient and will save you money on your energy bill.
Advantages of Furnace Efficiency
There are several advantages to improving furnace efficiency in your home. Furnaces with higher AFUE ratings will consume less fuel, which means they will produce fewer emissions. It can benefit the environment and your health, as lower emissions can help improve air quality.
In addition, more efficient furnaces will save you money on your energy bill. The less fuel your furnace consumes, the lower your monthly bills. Over time, these savings can add up to significant amounts of money!
Steps To Improve Furnace Efficiency
There are a few things you can do to improve the efficiency of your furnace, such as:
Checking or Replacing Your Furnace Filter Regularly
One of the simplest things you can do to improve furnace efficiency is to check or replace your furnace filter regularly. Furnace filters capture airborne particles, such as dust, pollen, and pet dander. Over time, these filters can become clogged with debris, restricting airflow and reducing furnace efficiency.
Ensure your furnace is operating at peak efficiency by checking the filter monthly and replacing it when necessary. If you have pets or live in a dusty area, you may need to replace your filter more frequently.
Investing in a High-Efficiency Furnace
If you are in the market for a new furnace, investing in a high-efficiency model can be a great way to improve furnace efficiency. Furnaces with higher AFUE ratings are more efficient and will save you money on your energy bills.
When shopping for a new furnace, compare the AFUE ratings of different models. It will help you choose the right furnace for your home and budget.
Sealing and Insulating Your Home
Another way to improve furnace efficiency is to seal and insulate your home. Gaps and cracks in your home’s envelope can allow heat to escape, making your furnace work harder to maintain a comfortable temperature.
Start caulking any gaps or cracks around doors and windows to seal and insulate your home. Then, add weatherstripping to doors and windows to further improve the seal. Finally, consider adding insulation to your attic and walls to improve energy efficiency.
Install a Programmable Thermostat
One of the best ways to improve furnace efficiency is to install a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat will allow you to set different temperatures for different times of the day. For example, you can lower the temperature when you are away from home or asleep.
Programmable thermostats can save you money on your energy bills by reducing the time your furnace is running. In addition, they can improve furnace efficiency by ensuring your furnace is only running when necessary.
Maintaining Your Furnace Regularly
In addition to the steps above, it is also essential to maintain your furnace regularly. It includes having your furnace serviced by a qualified technician at least once per year. During a service visit, a technician will clean your furnace and make any necessary repairs.
Regular furnace maintenance can help improve furnace efficiency and prevent costly repairs. Be sure to keep your receipts and warranty information in a safe place so you can reference them if needed.
There are a few things you can do to improve furnace efficiency. These steps include regularly checking or replacing your furnace filter, investing in a high-efficiency furnace, sealing and insulating your home, and installing a programmable thermostat. In addition, it is crucial to maintain your furnace regularly. By taking these steps, you can improve furnace efficiency.
If you have any questions about how to improve furnace efficiency, be sure to ask a qualified technician. Furnace Repair Vaughan will be able to help you choose the best course of action for your home and budget. Contact us today to schedule a consultation!